Mobile Network Management Disclosure
Blue Ridge Mobile is a mobile virtual network operator. As such, it provides wireless communications services over a third party partner’s wireless network. Our third party partner manages the network, and the disclosures below reflect such network management practices and controls. For the purposes of this disclosure, Blue Ridge and its third party partner are collectively referred to as “Blue Ridge.” For network management practices and performance characteristics when connected to Blue Ridge internet, please see our Blue Ridge Network Management Disclosure.
Network Management Practices
Blue Ridge does not discriminate against lawful Internet content, applications, services, or devices. The bullets below provide an overview of our mobile network practices.
• Blocking. Blue Ridge does not block access to any specific lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices, subject to reasonable network management as described herein.
• Throttling. Blue Ridge does not degrade or impair access to lawful internet traffic on the basis of content, application, service, user or use of a non-harmful device, subject to reasonable network management as described herein.
• Affiliate Prioritization. Blue Ridge does not directly or indirectly favor some traffic over other traffic to benefit an affiliate.
• Paid Prioritization. Blue Ridge does not directly or indirectly favor some traffic over other traffic in exchange for consideration, monetary or otherwise.
• Congestion and Network Management Practices.
o Congestion Management. An individual user's experience will vary depending upon many factors, including the selected plan, the network (5G Ultra Wideband, 5G or 4G LTE) the customer is using, and the device in use.
Blue Ridge has implemented optimization technologies across its 5G and 4G LTE networks to transmit data files in a more efficient manner to allow available network capacity to benefit the greatest number of users. These techniques include video caching and sizing video files more appropriately for mobile devices. The optimization process is agnostic as to the content itself and to the website that provides it. While Blue Ridge invests much effort to avoid changing text, image, and video files in the optimization process and while any change to the file is likely to be indiscernible, the optimization process may minimally impact the appearance of the file as displayed on a customer's device.
In addition, in order to optimize customers’ video viewing experiences on their devices over our 5G and 4G LTE networks while ensuring a high quality experience for other users of the network, Blue Ridge seeks to transmit video downloads or streams to smartphones at 480p or 720p, depending on the plan, unless a different video resolution is disclosed in the description of a particular plan. This practice does not make any distinction based on the content of the video or the source website. To achieve this optimization, Blue Ridge limits the throughput speeds of such video downloads or streams over our 5G and 4G LTE networks (which may be below the 9-56 Mbps 5G and 4G LTE download speeds typically provided). This practice results in the video provider’s content server sending the appropriate resolution video file for that speed, if available.
On certain plans, we may prioritize your 5G and 4G LTE data behind other traffic. If the cell site you are connected to begins experiencing high demand during the duration of your session, your 5G and 4G LTE data speeds may be slower than the other traffic’s. Once the demand on the site lessens, or if you connect to a different site not experiencing high demand, your speed will return to normal. Any such network management practices will be disclosed in the descriptions of impacted plans.
o Data Allowances.
Blue Ridge Unlimited. After a line uses 20 GB of high-speed data, it will experience speeds reduced to 256 Kbps for the rest of the billing cycle. After a line uses 5 GB of Mobile Hotspot data, it will experience speeds reduced to 600 Kbps.
Blue Ridge Shared Data. You will receive 1GB of data per line. After you use your allotted data, you will be charged $15/GB. If a line uses more than 5GB, that line will experience speeds reduced to 256 Kbps for the rest of the billing cycle. Customers also have the option to upgrade to Unlimited.
• Application-Specific Behavior. Blue Ridge does not limit, block or rate-control specific protocols or protocol ports other than for security reasons, modify protocol fields in ways not prescribed by the protocol standard, or otherwise inhibit or favor certain applications or classes of applications of traffic on our internet access service.
On certain plans, we may prioritize your data behind other traffic. If the cell site you are connected to begins experiencing high demand during the duration of your session, your data speeds may be slower than the other traffic's. Once the demand on the site lessens, or if you connect to a different site not experiencing high demand, your speed will return to normal. Any such network management practices will be disclosed in the descriptions of impacted plans.
• Device Attachment Rules. You may activate devices that Blue Ridge has certified to be compatible with its network, including devices not purchased directly from Blue Ridge. Please contact 1-855-447-2957 to see if your device is compatible.
• Security. Blue Ridge guards against traffic patterns that appear to be associated with disruptive or malicious intent. Unless part of an opted-in customer service, Blue Ridge does not block lawful traffic based on content or subject. Occasionally, cases arise where we must make a judgment, determining that the value of protecting our entire customer base from malicious or other adverse, network-impacting traffic outweighs access issues experienced by a few. Examples include internet sources or destinations that are major sources of spam and sources that aggressively scan internet addresses or those that have attempted attacks against infrastructure or customer end-points.
Blue Ridge blocks a limited number of internet addresses that are disruptive or malicious and typically persistent. This is based on our own analysis and third-party intelligence. Blue Ridge does not block sites based on content or subject, unless the internet address hosts unlawful content or is blocked as part of an opted-in customer service. We regularly review and modify the list of blocked internet addresses, taking any off the list that are no longer perceived as a threat.
Blue Ridge seeks to limit or contain the impact, or potential impact, of malicious software found on customer equipment. Where practical, Blue Ridge takes measures to block the instructions that this malicious software, or “malware,” receives from the outside, limiting the impact on the network and preventing high, unexpected billed usage.
• Service Description. Based on our carrier partner's internal testing and testing commissioned from third-party vendors, Blue Ridge expects customers will experience the following speeds:
o 5G Ultra Wideband: 90-170 Mbps download, 15-30 Mbps upload
o 5G: 9-56 Mbps download, 2-13 Mbps upload
o 4G LTE: 9-56 Mbps download, 2-13 Mbps upload
With respect to latency for use of real-time data applications, Blue Ridge expects network to device (round-trip) latency to be less than 30 ms on its 5G Ultra Wideband network and less than 100 ms on its 5G and 4G LTE networks. Since our service utilizes our carrier partner's mobile network, and is thus subject to its limitations, these expected latency levels may not reflect the actual latency that you experience. For performance information when connected to Blue Ridge Internet, please see our Blue Ridge Network Management Disclosure.
• Impact of Non-Broadband Internet Access Service Data Services. Blue Ridge Mobile service uses a third party partner’s wireless network and shares that network with services that our third party partner offers. When accessing Blue Ridge Mobile service via Blue Ridge Internet, and Blue Ridge Digital Phone service will also be delivered via the access point.
• Pricing and Fees. The current pricing, promotional rates and terms, and other terms and conditions of Blue Ridge’s packages of mobile service can be found on our website at www.brctv.com/mobile and or by contacting Blue Ridge’s customer service center at 1-855-447-2957 Information regarding any additional fees that may be applicable can be found at https://www.brctv.com/standard-pricing. Regular prices as of the date of this disclosure can be found https://www.brctv.com/standard-pricing. (Prices and service levels are subject to change.)
• For Questions, Complaints and Redress Options: For immediate assistance with issues or complaints involving your mobile service, please contact Blue Ridge’s customer service centers at 1-855-447-2957 or use the Help function at www.brctv.com. We have agents available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist you. You can also contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for customer service issues or technical and network issues. Our mailing address is: Blue Ridge Communications; PO Box 215, Palmerton, PA 18071. For information concerning the FCC’s formal and informal complaint procedures, please refer to the FCC’s website at www.fcc.gov/guides/getting-broadband.