The History of Pencor Services, Inc.
Pencor Services Inc, located in Palmerton, Pennsylvania, provides many communication services to local customers. Over the years, the company grew to what it is known for today, but in the beginning it all started with one man and a plan to make television reception available to those who live in the Blue Mountains of Palmerton, Pennsylvania.
Claude E. Reinhard was an engineer for the New Jersey Zinc Company. He had an idea to make the TV reception clearer in the Palmerton area. In 1950, with the help of some investors, he founded the Palmerton TV Signal Corporation. After being given the permission to install coaxial cable for the delivery of signals, the company erected an antenna on top of Blue Mountain. They then installed a pole line from the mountain to the Sokol Hall for the area's first public viewing of clear, visible TV signal for channels 3, 6 and 10 from the Philadelphia area. Over the years, more channels were added as the company expanded.
In 1955, this corporation bought the Palmerton Telephone Company from PP&L. In 1956, the company expanded by purchasing the Blue Ridge Telephone Company, which served the Kunkletown area. The company moved along with the times and installed new technology to make telephone services easier for customers.
In 1964, the company entered into the publishing field with Cablegrams. This was intended to be a TV guide for the Blue Ridge Cable subscribers. Claude E. Reinhard wanted to grow in this field and eventually bought such newspapers as The Mauch Chunk Times News, Lansford Evening Record and the Tamaqua Evening Courier. As the newspaper expanded its area of circulation and content, the name of the newspaper changed. It was first known as Blue Ridge News ’n Views then changed to Carbon County News ‘n Views. Today the newspaper is known as The Times News and its coverage area includes from Slatington to Tamaqua.
The company adopted its present name, Pencor Services, Inc in 1965. PENCOR is an acronym for Pennsylvania ENtertainment COmmunications and Recreations.
In 1971, Pencor Services Inc. changed the name of the cable TV division to Blue Ridge Cable Television, Inc. to reflect their expanding service territory, including the Poconos and Panther Valley areas.
Since 1981, Blue Ridge has offered such programs as WTBS, MTV, USA, ESPN to provide its customers with many different types of programs, including local programming on its own local origination station, TV-13. Developed in 1988, Blue Ridge Communications TV-13 centers on local news, sports and local happenings within the viewing area. Likewise, Blue Ridge Communications Cable 11 serves customers in the Ephrata and Northern Lancaster area. Cable 11 coverage includes CNN Headline News Local Edition, local sports and special events.
In 1994, ProLog was founded to keep up with the new technological advances. The Internet was the up and coming fast track to the information highway. ProLog is a service of PenTeleData, which is a limited partnership with Blue Ridge Communications and other regional cable companies. Pencor Services, Inc. is the managing partner and both companies provide Internet service to local customers.
The Pencor Wireless, located at 524 Delaware Avenue in Palmerton and 241 Lehigh Gap St in Walnutport, was started in October 1997. It not only serves cable and Internet customers, but provides cellular services to customers in the surrounding area as well.
As Pencor expands, so do all the companies associated with it.
In 1999, Blue Ridge Cable Technologies changed its name to Blue Ridge Communications. Today, Blue Ridge serves over 170,000 homes.
Pencor is also a company that is active in the communities it serves. Its involvement extends to the local chapters of the American Red Cross, American Cancer Society, Dream Come True, Easter Seals, Big Brother- Big Sisters, Palmerton Hospital and Operation Christmas Child. Today, Pencor Services, Inc. provides full service communications with telephone, cellular, television, newspaper and Internet services.